Submissions are open from September 1st – March 31st.
New South seeks to publish high-quality work, regardless of genre, form, or regional ties. We want what’s new, what’s fresh, and what’s different — whether it comes from the southern United States, the south of India, or the north, east or west of anywhere. Of course, the best way to figure out what our editors are interested in would be to read a copy of New South. Back issues are available for $4. Please visit our subscription page for more information.
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we can publish only a small number of the poems, essays, and stories submitted to us. We accept and encourage simultaneous submissions, but please notify us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere. We typically take between 3-5 months to respond. New South only considers unpublished work and acquires first North American serial rights.
We read submissions from September 1 – March 31st.
- Fiction: Submit one story up to 9,000 words in length, or up to five short-shorts under 1,000 words each.
- Poetry: Submit up to five poems per document.
- Essays: Submit creative nonfiction or lyric essay up to 9,000 words in length.
- Reading period: September 1st-March 31st.
Submissions for New South’s 2017 writing contest are now closed. New South’s 2018 contest judges will be announced in December.
- Micro Prose: This category is open. Submit stories and essays up to 500 words. Up to 3 pieces in one document. Only one submission at a time, please.
- Themed Mini-Issue. Submit up to three poems or up to 5,000 words of prose for our mid-season online themed mini-issue, set for release in January. Send us your writing that explores the theme of hunger. To hunger is human–both physically and spiritually. We invite submissions that think around and beyond the question of what it means to be hungry. Deadline: 11/31.
- Reviews: Submit one review up to 1,500 words in length. We accept reviews of books — poetry, fiction, and nonfiction — that have been published within the calendar year. Reviews of small press and first books are encouraged.
- Interviews: Submit one interview up to 2,000 words in length. We’re looking for original questions, please, directed toward writers in poetry, fiction, or nonfiction.
- Series/Columns/Blogs/Features: New South is now considering pitches for online series, columns, blogs or other features. Themed essays, fan fiction, craft discussions–it’s up to you.
- Send your pitches and samples to Anna Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New South now accepts submissions exclusively through Submittable, an online submissions manager. For a small fee that’s roughly the cost of printing and posting paper submissions, Submittable saves time, reduces paper waste, and increases our efficiency. Please submit your work here.
For questions concerning guidelines, or for information on free submissions for subscribers, please contact Anna Sandy at email@example.com.
New South does not currently accept unsolicited paper submissions under any circumstances. We will recycle all paper submissions, unread, without notifying the writer.