Regular submissions are open from September 1st – March 31st.
New South seeks to publish high-quality work, regardless of genre, form, or regional ties. We want what’s new, what’s fresh, and what’s different—whether it comes from the southern United States, the south of India, or the north, east or west of anywhere. Of course, the best way to figure out what our editors are interested in would be to read a copy of New South. Back issues are available for $5. Please visit our subscription page for more information.
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we can publish only a small number of the poems, essays, and stories submitted to us. We accept and encourage simultaneous submissions, but please notify us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere. We typically take between 3-5 months to respond. If we have not responded in that time, please feel free to reach out. New South only considers unpublished work and acquires first North American serial rights.
We read regular submissions from September 1 – March 31st. Submissions for reviews, interviews, and pitches for features stay open year-round.
- Fiction: Submit one story up to 7,500 words in length, or up to three short-shorts under 1,000 words each.
- Poetry: Submit up to five poems per document.
- Creative Nonfiction: Submit creative nonfiction or lyric essay up to 7,500 words in length.
- Reading period: September 1st-March 31st.
Submissions for New South’s 2019 writing contest are now closed. New South’s 2019 contest winners will be announced in early June 2019.
- Micro Prose: This category is closed. Submit stories and essays up to 500 words. Up to 3 pieces in one document. Only one submission at a time, please.
- Themed Mini-Issue. This category is closed. The bi-annual issue is now live.
- Reviews: Submit one review up to 750 words in length. We accept reviews of books—poetry, fiction, and nonfiction—that have been published within the past year. Reviews of small press and first books are encouraged.
- Interviews: Submit one interview up to 2,000 words in length. We’re looking for original questions, please, directed toward writers in poetry, fiction, or nonfiction.
- Series/Columns/Blogs/Features: New South is now considering pitches for online series, columns, blogs or other features. Themed essays, fan fiction, craft discussions—it’s up to you.
- Send your pitches and samples to Anna Sandy-Elrod at email@example.com.
New South now accepts submissions exclusively through Submittable, an online submissions manager. For a small fee that’s roughly the cost of printing and posting paper submissions, Submittable saves time, reduces paper waste, and increases our efficiency. Please submit your work here.
For questions concerning guidelines, or for information on free submissions for subscribers, please contact Anna Sandy-Elrod at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New South does not currently accept unsolicited paper submissions under any circumstances. We will recycle all paper submissions, unread, without notifying the writer.