2014 New South Writing Contest Now Open for Submissions
The New South Writing Contest, awarding $1,000 to a winner in poetry and a winner in prose, and $250 to the runners up in each category, is now open. Contest guidelines are applicable from December to March ONLY.
The deadline for contest submissions is March 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM. Submittable submissions will close automatically; mailed submissions will not be accepted.
The 2014 New South Writing Contest will be be judged by Brian Oliu in the genre of poetry and Christopher Merkner in the genre of prose. Please take care that you are submitting under the contest genre; regular submissions received during the contest period WILL NOT be entered into the contest. Your $15 entry fee also includes a one-year subscription to New South. You may submit electronically here.
Each entry must include:
- A reading fee of fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a one year subscription to the journal!
- The submitter’s contact info, including a mailing address for your subscription. (Do not include any identifying information in the manuscript).
Non-fiction is welcomed and encouraged. Submit one (1) short story or non-fiction piece per $15 Reading Fee. Please limit your submissions to 9,000 words.
Submit up to three (3) poems per document.
Only unpublished work will be considered, and only writers who have not published a book of prose or poetry are eligible. Simultaneous submissions will be considered with notification. All rights revert to author after publication. Current students, staff, and faculty at Georgia State University are not eligible. Current students and associates of the two contest judges are also ineligible.
New South publishes quality literary art promoting the work of emerging and established writers. We hold no subject biases, and the staff will select the best work regardless of style or genre. The final round of judging will be anonymous (the names will be removed from the manuscripts before the final judges see the entries). Judges from outside the staff will pick the winners from finalists selected by the New South staff.
2013 New South Writing Contest Winners
Our judges for the 2013 New South Writing Contest were Amber Sparks and Marilyn Kallet, who judged prose and poetry respectively. They selected the following wonderful pieces for us, all of which can be found in New South 6.2.
- 1st place: “Courier” by David Armstrong
- 2nd place: “Marissa-My-Rissa” by Corrie Byrne
- 3rd place: “The Distance Between: A Lexicon” by Jennie Goode
- 1st place: “Amber Alert” by M.B. McLatchey
- 2nd place: “Harvest” by Andrea Janelle Dickens
*We had no third place winner in poetry for 2013, as one of the winners was disqualified.
We’d also like to acknowledge and congratulate the 2013 finalists:
- “Ion” by Robert Epstein
- “Googling My Heart” by Terrance Flynn
- “Strategies of Containment” by Rebecca Kumar
- “Chinchilla” by Ali McGhee
- “Logic of Imaginary Friends” by Jill Rosenberg
- “Hunting Lessons” by Emily Watson
- Kay Cosgrove
- Gail Giewont
- Carolann Madden
- Dana Guthrie Martin
- Kelly Michels
- Gloria Munoz
- Stephanie Schlaifer