Judges Brian Oliu (poetry) and Christopher Merkner (prose) have selected some incredible pieces for the 2014 New South Writing Contest. Our first place winners will be awarded $1,000 prizes; second place winners, $250; and third place winners, a three-year subscription to New South. And of course, all of these pieces will be published in the contest issue, New South7.2.
- 1st place: “The Queen,” by Che Yuen
- 2nd place: “A Thousand and One All Fleeing America,” by Jeffrey Wasserboehr
- 3rd place: “The Moment of Departure,” by Dana Schwartz
- 1st place: “Thousands,” by Xan Roberti
- 2nd place: “Deer and Women,” by Rosa Lane
- from Close Space/Close Reverie/Close Air "8," by Laura Carter